Trump's DEI Crackdown Could Cost New Jersey Schools $1.2 Billion​

Around $1.2 billion in federal funding for New Jersey public schools is now at risk after the Trump administration issued a demand Thursday that state education departments eliminate diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) programs that it claims violate federal civil rights law. States have been given 10 days to comply or risk losing all federal education funds.

This directive could directly impact Newark, the state’s largest school district, which stands to lose about $77 million in federal support, nearly 5% of its $1.5 billion budget. The New Jersey Department of Education said it is reviewing the directive to determine next steps.

“The NJDOE remains steadfast in our commitment to work with school districts to ensure all students receive equitable access to high-quality education,” said spokesperson Michael Yaple in a statement Friday.

The order primarily threatens Title I funds, which support schools serving low-income students. Legal experts have questioned whether the federal government has the authority to condition this funding on the elimination of DEI programs.

New Jersey Attorney General Matthew Platkin sharply criticized the move on social media, calling it “cruel and reckless.” He added that the state would fight any effort to strip schools of essential resources. However, the Attorney General’s Office declined to provide further comment on Friday.

Political leaders and education officials in other states have also pushed back. The mayor of Chicago, for example, said he is prepared to file a lawsuit if the federal government follows through on its threats.

This latest action comes on the heels of another major funding issue: the U.S. Department of Education recently announced it will not honor extensions to use COVID-19 relief funds previously approved under the Biden administration.

As a result, 20 districts in New Jersey, including Newark, are at risk of losing an additional $85 million for ongoing infrastructure projects.

“These cuts are reckless and irresponsible, allowing us very little time for contingency plans,” said Gov. Phil Murphy earlier this week. It remains unclear how districts will adjust if these funds are pulled back.

Federal money plays a critical role in supporting services for New Jersey’s most vulnerable students,

including those with disabilities, English language learners, homeless students, and those from low-income families.

Of the $1.2 billion in total federal education funds received by the state, approximately $460 million supports Title I programs and $430 million funds special education under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).

The remainder supports Head Start and other federally mandated programs like Title III, which helps students learning English.

In Newark, the $76.8 million in federal support is vital. Around $23.9 million is allocated to Title I programs, $11.6 million goes toward services for students with disabilities, and nearly $9 million funds the city’s Head Start program. The rest support other key federal initiatives.

Last month, Attorney General Platkin joined 14 other state attorneys general in issuing guidance that countered the federal push against DEI efforts in both K-12 and higher education.

On Friday, the state Department of Education reminded districts to continue following that guidance in light of the new directive.

“Providing a welcoming, supportive educational environment free of discrimination in all its forms is central not only to longstanding practice and values in New Jersey schools, but to New Jersey law,” said Education Commissioner Kevin Dehmer in a prior notice to school officials.

Newark leaders have been vocal in defending both the district’s federal funding and its commitment to DEI. At a recent rally led by the teachers’ union, Mayor Ras Baraka said the funding threats target the city’s working-class families.

Newark Teachers Union President John Abeigon also called for a strong response. “We don’t have any programs that discriminate against any students or teachers,” he said. “I hope the districts and states push back on this — leave us alone.”

Mark Weber, a policy analyst with New Jersey Policy Perspective, warned that cuts to Title I funding would disproportionately harm students of color in low-income districts — the very students DEI efforts aim to support.

“It’s absurd that we’re talking about pulling funding from programs designed to help children in need,” Weber said.

Reference


Disclaimer- Our team has thoroughly fact-checked this article to ensure its accuracy and maintain its credibility. We are committed to providing honest and reliable content for our readers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *